Solar do Barão
In this cultural complex are gathered important units of the Cultural Foundation of Curitiba, related to the graphic arts, housing exhibition halls, used for shows of national and international artists. Also available are engraving workshops, offering visual arts courses for children and adults; the Engraving Shop, which sells works of art made in the various engraving techniques; the Documentation and Research Center Guido Viaro, a library specialized in arts; and Sala Scabi, an auditorium for cultural presentations and discussions.
The works of the Solar do Barão building began in 1880, to serve as the residence of the Ildefonso Pereira Correia, the Baron of the Serro Azul. The design of the building belonged to Ângelo Vendramin and Batista Casagrande, Italian designers and builders who idealized the building within the dominant patterns in the residential architecture of the curitibanos ervateiros. In 1894, due to the environment generated by the firing of the Baron during the Federalist Revolution, a residence for the Baroness and her children was built beside the Manor, respecting the stylistic principles of edification. The National Army occupied the property from 1912 to 1975, the year in which the building was acquired by the Curitiba City Hall, which had an interest in its preservation. The renovation of the work for the new use was coordinated by the architect Cyro Correia de Oliveira Lyra, already in 1975. The Solar Barão cultural complex was inaugurated in November 1980 to promote the creation, experimentation, preservation and the exercise of art.
Rua Presidente Carlos Cavalcanti, 533 – Centro, Curitiba – PR